This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Identity Cards


Identity Cards




Italian Consulates abroad are now able to issue Identity cards but only in the paper format. This service is available only for Italian citizens who are properly registered at the Italian consular office in their country of residence and in the AIRE of their Municipality of reference in Italy. The Identity Card can only be issued if your personal data is already recorded in the database of the Italian Ministry for Home Affairs as provided by the AIRE offices of Italian Municipalities (not to be confused with registration at the Consular office).

For further information on AIRE registration click here

To apply for an Identity Card your persanal file must be in order and up to date. Certificates of marriage/divorce/death of spouse must be duly registered with the Italian authorities. In case of children under 18, the birth certificate must be registered in the Italian Comune. For more info click here.

The Consulate can issue Identity Cards to all AIRE registered Italian citizens regardless of the applicant's age but in all cases we must first obtain authorisation from the Comune where he/she is registered.

Italian Municipal authorities continue to be primarily responsible for the issue of ID Cards and can continue issuing them to Italian citizens who live abroad. If you are AIRE registered you can apply at any time for the issue of an ID card at the Comune in Italy.

NB: It is frequently reported that UK border authorities will not accept an ID card with a renewal stamp on the reverse. We therefore recommend that you travel with a passport or one of the new 10yr ID cards. For further information please consult the following website:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications processing times for the issue of ID cards currently extend to 12 weeks (from the date of application).

If you need to travel urgently and do not have a passport, you can go to the Consulate every day from Monday to Thursday from 09:30 to 12:30, without an appointment, to apply for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD). This document is valid for 5 days only and allows one single return to Italy. Once in Italy, you can apply to your Comune for the issue of an ID card. The Comune is in fact the competent authority for issuing ID cards, even if the applicant is AIRE registered.

Click here for further information on the issue of an E.T.D.

  1. NEW ID CARD FOR ADULTS (18 yrs +)
  2. NEW ID CARD FOR MINORS (under 18)
  3. ACT OF CONSENT (for applicants who have children under 18)