This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

How to apply for an Italian passport (ADULT)


How to apply for an Italian passport (ADULT)



IN PERSON by prior appointment only - the passport office receives by appointment only  -  You shall bring with you the following:

  • an adult passport application form MOD1 (see Forms)
  • a valid form of photographic ID
  • 2 recent and identical passport photographs, which must meet ICAO rules. Please see photograph guidelines
  • payment (see Fees and how to pay)
  • your current, expired or damaged passport.
    • If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must also submit a Lost/Stolen Report Form (see Forms) and another form of  identity. If possible, please provide a photocopy of your lost or stolen passport.


Please read the checklist carefully before submitting your passport application. You can find the checklist and the passport application form (MOD1) in the “Forms” section of this website. (see Forms)

Please be advised that if you fail to submit the items listed in the checklist, your passport application will be rejected.



  • If you have children under the age of 18, you must ask the other parent to complete and sign SECTION B of your passport application form (MOD1). Alternatively the other parent may sign a separate Act of consent (see Forms). 
  • Parental consent is mandatory whether you are single, married, separated or divorced and even if your children have their own passports.
  • If the other parent is an EU citizen, he or she can complete and sign Section B of your passport application form in person or at home. Don’t forget to provide a photocopy of their passport or Identity card (clearly showing their photograph and signature) so that we can verify that the signatures match.
  • If the other parent is a non-EU citizen, the act of consent must be signed in person at the Consulate during the appointment, showing a form of ID.
  • If the other parent is not an EU citizen and doesn’t live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you must ask them to sign an Act of Consent form (see Forms), in person, at their nearest Italian Consulate/Embassy or Questura (police station) in Italy.
  • If the other parent refuses to give you Parental consent, you can apply for a Consular Decree which will allow the Consul General to authorise the issue of your passport. The Consul General in Edinburgh can only serve as Guardianship Judge for children that live in Scotland and Northern Ireland. If your children live in Italy, you should get in touch with the Tribunale dei Minori.
  • If the other parent is deceased, you must provide a death certificate with your passport application form (MOD1). If the death certificate is not written in Italian or English, you must provide a multilingual certificate or a certified Italian translation.

To download the passport application form, please see Forms


Fees and how to pay:

The cost of a passport is subject to quarterly fluctuations in the exchange rate between EUR/GBP.

To find out how much a passport costs, please see Consular fees.


Ways to pay:

  • You can pay in cash
  • Postal Order made payable to the “Italian Consulate General”. Don’t forget to write your name on the back. You can buy a postal order from any local Post Office.


Processing time:

If you are registered with the Italian Consulate in Edinburgh (A.I.R.E or Anagrafe Italiani Residenti all’Estero), if your application is complete and if your residence and civil status is up to date, the passport can be issued on the same day (unless we require the necessary authorization from the Questura in Italy - e.g. for citizens registered on AIRE for less than one year). It can take longer if more information is needed, if your application hasn’t been filled out correctly or if we need to update your civil status position (registration of birth/death/marriage/divorce certificates). In some cases we may have to carry out routine security checks which could delay your application.